Saturday, August 23, 2014

Hop Harvest 2014

Today, a coworker told me that the previous owner of his house planted hops on his back fence, and that if I wanted some, I could help myself to them. So after work, I picked up my wife and we headed out, bucket in hand, to "harvest" some hops of unknown origin or variety. In an hour, we picked enough to fill my 5 gallon bucket up to the 2 gallon mark. We then went to Chic-Fil-A for dinner because, you know, date night. Tomorrow, we plan on drying them and using my mother-in-law's vacuum sealer so I can store them in the freezer until later this fall/winter. I plan on dry hopping my California Common next week and then making a Hoptoberfest once I get some free space in the fermentation chamber. Here's a few photos of our date night hop harvest.


If you can help us identify these hops, please do so in the comments section below.


My lovely assistant, really getting in there.


Bucket view. It made the car smell great all the way home. Like fresh citrus.


No comments:

Post a Comment