Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Honey Pilsner

Brew Day: 11/04/14

Small batch extract kit from Northern Brewer.

1.25 gals in the kettle, pre-boil volume.


Brought to boil and started timer. 60 min boil.

1 lb Pilsen DME - 60 mins
7 grams Willamette hops 4.7% AA - 45 mins
7 grams Willamette hops 4.7% AA - 20 mins
*put both hop additions in a nylon hop bag to keep wort clear*
1/4 tsp of Irish Moss - 15 mins
2 oz Ames Farm Single Source Honey - 0 mins




Cooled with ice water bath in sink. Down to 80 in 10 mins. Siphoned out of brew kettle through double mesh strainer into fermentation bucket to aerate and get any hop sludge or Irish Moss out. Fermentor volume approximately 1 gal. Put lid on and shook for 30 seconds to help aerate further. Pitched yeast at 66. Sprinkled 1/2 packet of Safale W-34/70 German Lager Yeast, then added 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient. First time doing a lager and want to make sure the dry yeast has enough "umph" to take care of it. Put in fermentation chamber, set at 54.

It'll sit for 2 weeks in primary, then I'll rack it to secondary and drop the temp to around 36 for 4 more weeks to lager before bottling. As I'm typing this, I realize my next brew is an English Bitter and my fermentation chamber will be too cold. I guess I'll have to clean out the bottom of my closet to put the carboy whenever I brew next. It's in the mid 60's in the apartment so that'll be just fine for the bitter. 

OG: 1.053 (13 brix)
est IBU: 39
est FG: 1.012
est SRM: 2.4

Racked to secondary: 11/18/14

Got it down to 1.013 after 2 weeks. My brewers friend app says it's about 5.25% abv. Racked it to a secondary fermentor, and it's lagering in the fridge as we speak. This is by far the lightest beer I've ever made, even more than the German Blonde Ale I brewed last spring (before the blog, sorry no notes). In the siphon tube, it was a light straw color. I'll leave it 3 weeks in the fridge before bottling.



Bottling Day: 12/09/14

Bottled it up after 3 weeks of lagering in the fridge at 40 deg. Got 8 12 oz bottles filled. Tastes pretty nice, always interesting to see what it'll be like with carbonation. Very clear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment